Multiple opportunities are being presented to assist those that have been impacted by Hurricane Florence. We are all asking ourselves, what can we do to help survivors? There are opportunities to give money, goods, labor, and prayer all are needed.
This is the largest rain event the state has ever experienced. Clean-up and recovery will be measured in years not months. Here are some ideas being shared by the Mission, Peace, and Justice committee.
The needs will change as the recovery unfolds. Right now, families need food, shelter and medical care as well as Spiritual Care as they return to their homes. When the curfews are lifted and mandatory evacuations are cancelled, survivors will need support for clearing debris, cleaning up their homes and rebuilding what has been washed away.
In response, Churches can help in a number of ways:
- Provide financial support through offerings to Presbyterian Disaster Assistance or the Presbytery of New Hope marked “Hurricane Florence”.
- Collect items for flooded communities NC Poor People's Campaign is working with local, grassroots community organizations to organize donations to go to the coast and other eastern communities. See list of requested supplies below:
- Pray for Survivors and their Families! read the prayer by PDA director, Rev. Dr. Laurie Kraus
These relief supplies have been requested by directly impacted communities in Eastern NC:
URGENT DONATION REQUEST FOR SUPPLIES NEEDED IMMEDIATELY:
- hand sanitizer
- hygiene wipes
- canned food or other non-perishable foods
- tarps/ropes for securing roofs
- first aid kits
- pain relievers, antacids, and other over-the-counter medicines
- bleach and other cleaning supplies
- resealable plastic bags
- air mattresses or cots
The supply list will be updated as we receive more requests
DONATION ITEMS CAN BE DROPPED OFF AT CHURCH IN THE MISSION HUB ROOM
Volunteers are need to transport donated items to:
NC A. Philip Randolph Institute
1408 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh NC 27601
Sunday 12-4 pm 9/16